What Is Personal Information?
What Personal Information Do We Collect?
We collect certain information you voluntarily provide to us including, without limitation, the information you enter when you create an account and profile, send us an email, purchase our products or services, request user support or submit or post any other content to the Site or use the Services.
We automatically collect certain information when you use the Site and the Services including, without limitation, your Internet Protocol (IP) address, your operating system, the browser type, the address of a referring site and your activity on the Site. We may also collect information from mobile phone users in a similar manner to optimize the mobile experience. Beyond mobile phone numbers, we may collect mobile screen resolution, device make and manufacturer, as well as the device’s unique identifier (in the iPhone’s case, a UDID), and, with your permission, your location. We treat this information as Personal Information if we combine it with or link it to any of the identifying information mentioned above. Otherwise, it is used in the aggregate only.
Cookies and other Technologies
We may use standard Internet technology, such as web beacons and other similar technologies, to track your use of the Site and the Services. We also may include web beacons in promotional email messages or newsletters to determine whether messages have been opened and acted upon. The information we obtain in this manner enables us to customize the services we offer visitors to our Site to deliver targeted advertisements and to measure the overall effectiveness of our online advertising, content, programming or other activities.
When you visit the Site, we may assign your computer one or more cookies, to facilitate access to the Site and to personalize your online experience. Through the use of a cookie, we also may automatically collect information about your online activity on the Site, such as the web pages you visit, the links you click, and the searches you conduct on the Site. Most browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies. If you choose to decline cookies, please note that you may not be able to log in or use some of the interactive features offered on the Site.
The Site is not directed at children. Consistent with the Federal Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 (COPPA), Rival IQ will not knowingly request or collect personally identifiable information from any child under age 13 without requiring parental consent. Any person who provides his or her Personal Information to use through the Site or the Services represents that he or she is older than 12 years of age.
How Do We Use the Personal Information We Collect?
We may use information that we collect about you to:
- Deliver the products and services that you have requested;
- Manage your account and provide you with customer support;
- Perform research and analysis about your use of, or interest in, our products, services or content, or products, services or content offered by others;
- Communicate with you by email, postal mail, telephone and/or mobile devices about products or services that may be of interest to you either from us or other third parties;
- Tailor your user experience;
- Develop and display third-party content and advertising tailored to your interests on the Site and other sites;
- Enforce our Terms and Conditions;
- Manage our business;
- Perform functions as otherwise described to you at the time of collection; and
- For any other purpose with your consent
Financial Information. We may use financial information or payment method to process payment for any purchases, subscriptions or sales made on the Site or through the Services, to protect against or identify possible fraudulent transactions, and otherwise as needed to manage our business.
What Personal Information Do We Share With Third Parties?
We want you to understand when and with whom we may share personal or other information we have collected about you or your activities on the Site or while using the Services.
- Our Service Providers. We may share your Personal Information with our service providers that perform certain services on our behalf. These services may include fulfilling orders, processing credit card payments, providing customer service and marketing assistance, performing business analysis, supporting the functionality of the Site and the Services, and supporting surveys and other features offered through the Site. These service providers may have access to Personal Information needed to perform their functions but are not permitted to share or use such information for any other purposes.
- Other Situations. We also may disclose your information:
- In response to a subpoena or similar investigative demand, a court order, or a request for cooperation from a law enforcement or other government agency; to establish or exercise our legal rights; to defend against legal claims; or as otherwise required by law. In such cases, we may raise or waive any legal objection or right available to us, in our sole discretion.
- When we believe disclosure is appropriate in connection with efforts to investigate, prevent, report or take other action regarding illegal activity, suspected fraud or other wrongdoing; to protect and defend the rights, property or safety of our company, our users, our employees, or others; to comply with applicable law or cooperate with law enforcement; or to enforce our website terms and conditions or other agreements or policies.
- In connection with a substantial corporate transaction, such as the sale of our business, a divestiture, merger, consolidation, or asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
- As you may otherwise request or agree.
Aggregated and Non-Personal Information. We may share aggregated and non-Personal Information we collect under any of the above circumstances. We may also share it with third parties to develop and deliver targeted advertising on the Site, through the Services and on websites of third parties. We may combine non-Personal Information we collect with additional non-Personal Information collected from other sources. We also may share aggregated information with third parties, including advisors, advertisers and investors, for the purpose of conducting general business analysis. For example, we may tell our advertisers the number of visitors to our website and the most popular features or services accessed. This information does not contain any Personal Information and may be used to develop website content and services that we hope you and other users will find of interest and to target content and advertising.
- You can choose not to provide us with certain information, but that may result in you being unable to use certain features of the Site and the Services because such information may be required in order for you to register as a member; purchase products or services; participate in a survey; ask a question; or initiate other transactions on the Site or through the Services.
- When you register on the Site you may be given a choice as to whether you want to receive email messages and/or newsletters about product updates, improvements, special offers, or containing special distributions of content by us. At any time you can choose to no longer receive commercial or promotional emails or newsletters from us by using the email address associated with your account to send an email to email@example.com with the word “Unsubscribe” in the subject line, or as further described below under Commercial Electronic Email Consent. You also will be given the opportunity, in any promotional commercial email that we send to you, to opt out of receiving such messages in the future. It may take up to 10 days for us to process an opt-out request. We may send you other types of transactional and relationship email communications, such as service announcements, administrative notices, and surveys, without offering you the opportunity to opt out of receiving them. Please note that, changing information in your account, or otherwise opting out of receipt of promotional email communications will only affect future activities or communications from us. If we have already provided your information to a third party (such as a credit card processing partner) before you have changed your preferences or updated your information, you may have to change your preferences directly with that third party.
- You may tell us not to share your Personal Information with third parties for direct marketing purposes by using the email address associated with your account to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the words “Remove from direct marketing” in the subject line.
Links to Other Sites
What Steps Do We Take To Protect Your Information Online?
We take reasonable measures to protect your Personal Information in an effort to prevent loss, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction. Please be aware, however, that despite our efforts, no security measures are perfect or impenetrable and no method of data transmission can be guaranteed against any interception or other type of misuse. If we become aware of a security systems breach, we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. Rival IQ may post a notice through the Services if a security breach occurs. If this happens, you will need a web browser enabling you to access the Services. We may also send an email to you at the email address you have provided to use in these circumstances. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach in writing.
Users should also be aware of how they handle and disclose their Personal Information and should avoid sending Personal Information through insecure email. Please refer to the Federal Trade Commission’s website at https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/features/feature-0014-identity-theft for information about how to protect yourself against identity theft.
Information Retention and Disposal
We may retain Personal Information for as long as we have a business need for it or as applicable laws or regulations or government orders require us to retain it.
Commercial Electronic Message Consent.
By providing your email address to Rival IQ through the Site or otherwise, you affirmatively and expressly consent to receiving commercial emails from us. We may send you commercial emails in order to deliver a newsletter, to provide you with more information about our products or services, and to provide you with updates, special offers, and other information, including but not limited to updates to the Site. You may unsubscribe from these promotional commercial emails at any time by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link included in any email or by contacting us via email at email@example.com or at the mailing address provided below. Opting out of promotional communications does not affect our communications with you via telephone or email related to any business we may have with you or other transactional emails.
Your California Privacy Rights.
Effective January 1, 2005, under California Civil Code Section 1798.83, if an individual who is a California resident has provided Personal Information to a business in connection with a business relationship that is primarily for personal, family, or household purposes, and if that business has within the immediately preceding calendar year disclosed such an individual’s Personal Information to a third party and knows or should have known that such third party used the information for its own direct marketing purposes, then that business is obligated to disclose in writing to such individual upon request, what Personal Information was shared and with whom it was shared.
Any request for a disclosure required under this California law should be sent to us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via regular mail at:
Rival IQ Corporation
1520 4th Avenue, Suite 200
Seattle, WA 98101
Please note that under this law, we are not required to respond to a customer’s request more than once in a calendar year, nor are we required to respond to any request that is not sent to the email or mailing address designated above.
Corrections and Updates
If you want to view, delete, or modify your Personal Information, you may do so by sending an email to email@example.com. Please note that we may be required to keep this information and not delete it (or to keep this information for a certain time, in which case we will comply with your deletion request only after we have fulfilled such requirements). When we delete any information, it will be deleted from the active database, but may remain in our archives.
You may also choose to opt-out of receiving future newsletters or any other email communications from Rival IQ by following the unsubscribe instructions included in email communications, or by contacting Rival IQ as provided above.
We reserve the right to verify the identity of any person making a request to opt-out or to delete or modify Personal Information; provided, however, that we will have no liability of any kind resulting from false or erroneous requests or any change or deletion made by us for any reason.
Contact; Questions; Complaints
Rival IQ Corporation
1520 4th Avenue, Suite 200
Seattle, WA 98101
Should you so choose, however, you have the right to lodge a formal complaint regarding our use of Personal Information about you with the Federal Trade Commission, the supervisory authority for the United States, using the following contact information:
Federal Trade Commission
600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Northwest
Washington, DC 20580
Tel. +1 202 326 2222
Terms Applicable to Data from EU Member Countries
We are based in the United States. In most cases, the Personal Information we collect is stored and used in the United States.
If we collect Personal Information from EU residents in a manner subject to the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) then, in addition to the above, the following terms shall also apply to our collection, use and retention of that information:
Basis for Collection. As set out above, we collect and process Personal Information for which you have given your express consent at the time of collection. For example, we collect Personal Information when you elect to participate in one of our promotions. We also collect and process Personal Information in order to improve our services, to deliver services and perform obligations under contracts we have with you, and to comply with our own legal obligations.
Sensitive Data: We do not collect sensitive data, for example, biometric data, health data, or data revealing racial or ethnic origin, from visitors to the Sites.
Authorized Transfer. We also may disclose Personal Information for other purposes or to other third parties when you have consented to or requested such disclosure. Please be aware that we will disclose Personal Information in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements. We are not liable for appropriate onward transfers of Personal Information to third parties.
Data Processors. We may retain third parties to process or analyze Personal Information we collect from the Site. For example, the Site may be maintained or hosted by a third party service provider, a promotion may be administered by a sales promotion agency, and/or products may be fulfilled by a wholesaler. These suppliers and other third parties who provide services for us are contractually obligated not to use Personal Information about you except as we authorize.
Profiling. We may analyze Personal Information we have collected about you to create a profile of your interests and preferences so that we can contact you with information that is relevant to you. We may make use of additional information about you when it is available from external sources to help us do this effectively. We may also use Personal Information about you to detect and reduce fraud and credit risk.
Your Rights. Your rights include: (a) a right to withdraw your consent to the processing of Personal Information about you to which you have previously given consent; (b) a right to object to processing of Personal Information about you for the purpose of direct marketing; and (c) a right to have Personal Information about you corrected or removed.
If you request to have Personal Information removed, we may retain some of your Personal Information as necessary for the purposes of our legitimate business interests or in furtherance of public interests in accordance with applicable law. Any Personal Information you have shared publicly with others may continue to be publicly visible on the Sites.
You also have the right to obtain a copy of the Personal Information we have about you, although we reserve the right to charge a reasonable fee for this depending on the nature and frequency of your request(s) and our cost to provide the information.
Enforcement and Disputes: In addition to the above, you may complain to your home data protection authority and can invoke binding arbitration for some residual claims not resolved by other redress mechanisms. Contact details for the EU data protection authorities can be found at http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/bodies/authorities/index_en.htm.
Last Updated: May 24, 2018